Quantcast
Welcome

Mrs-O.com is a blog dedicated to chronicling the fashion and style of First Lady Michelle Obama. Founded September 2008.

Community
Search
BOOK

« Mrs. O at the US Open | Main | Quote of the Day »
Friday
Sep092011

Return of the Classic Sheath

Photos by Charles Dharapak / AP Images

For the president's speech on jobs to a joint session of Congress last evening, Mrs. O returned to a classic: the magenta Maria Pinto sheath dress last worn on the night in 2008 when her husband secured the Democratic nomination for president. A House of Lavande vintage jeweled belt and upswept hairstyle updated the look.

Those who have been following Mrs. O's style for some time of course know the name Maria Pinto well. The recession forced the designer to close her business in 2010. Since then, Pinto has assumed the role of Creative Director for Mark Shale in Chicago.

References (3)

References allow you to track sources for this article, as well as articles that were written in response to this article.
  • Response
    Response: Tinnitus Cure
  • Response
    Return of the Classic Sheath - Home - Mrs.O - Follow the Fashion and Style of First Lady Michelle Obama
  • Response

Reader Comments (18)

I love that she wore this iconic dress for this occasion. I also love this belt and recognize it from another wearing. I am drawing a blank on where or when. Anyone remember?

Friday, September 9, 2011 at 8:59 PM | Registered Commenteroperafanatic

The styles look the same but in the pictures one dress looks hot pink, and the other looks purple. Maybe it is the lighting.

Friday, September 9, 2011 at 10:12 PM | Unregistered CommenterKatie

Love the dress and the new belt, that gives a lighter, fresher look to the entire ensemble. I love Mrs. O's hairstyle, too!

Friday, September 9, 2011 at 10:28 PM | Unregistered Commenterouapiti

LOVES IT ALL! The hair, the belt,the dress, and most of all the LADY!!

HEY OPFAN!!! Long time, no read!! LOL ;-P

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 1:44 AM | Registered CommenterNyon

Perfection.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 4:34 AM | Unregistered Commentermocro

I am IN LOVE with that color and it looks GREAT on her. I think she even looks better with this new (CUTE!!!) belt vs the thick black belt & pearls. This belt flower looks classier. LOVE IT today 1000 times more!

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 6:30 AM | Unregistered CommenterBetty

It's the belt she wore in great Britain in May: http://mrs-o.com/newdata/2011/5/24/a-crown-jewel.html
Personally, I like it better on the Pinto dress here. She looks great!

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 9:24 AM | Registered Commenter

Beautiful color, fits beautifully. Love it.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 9:47 AM | Unregistered Commentergaylev

Thank God for purple in a world of too much red and blue.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 10:15 AM | Unregistered CommenterLisa

It's great to see this lovely dress again and I like this belt better. Mrs. O is a paragon of wardrobe remixing.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 11:47 AM | Unregistered Commentera MI Mom

Wow! Fabulous to see this dress again freshned if you will with the pairing of that elegant belt LOVIN' the look. @a MI Mom you are right, she can wardrobe remix like no other:)

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 12:46 PM | Unregistered Commenteradear

echo that...perfection! She took my breath away that night. I actually prefer this belt to the one she wore three years ago. She looks absolutely stunning. So gracious.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 3:21 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlisa

don't you think that these two dresses have different colours?

Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 3:53 AM | Unregistered Commentercecilia

I hadn't seen this dress in such a long time that I assumed it was filed away in the archives. This is THE DRESS that caught the attention of fashionistas worldwide. And 3 years later, it is still a beauty.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 4:04 AM | Registered CommenterMcKinley

I just adore this outfit, and Mrs. O's hair and makeup are spot on. What a gorgeous color.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 9:16 PM | Registered CommenterBevi

"No, not vain, just wanting to share a good thing. I think it pi**es God off when you walk by the colour purple in a field and don't notice it. "

This is one of my favourite quotes from the movie 'The Color Purple'. Purple is one of my favourite colours and Mrs O looks exquisite here.

Monday, September 12, 2011 at 4:35 AM | Registered CommenterJestina ( London, England)

@ Bibi: right you are. And I agree it looks miles better here. I was not a fan of that huge purple outfit in London.

Monday, September 12, 2011 at 2:47 PM | Registered Commenteroperafanatic

This is perfection - how did I miss it?!!!!

Friday, September 30, 2011 at 5:17 PM | Registered CommenterPosh Tater

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.
Author Email (optional):